Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Omaha Trip

We went to Omaha for the weekend. Carter made, um, friends I guess you could say, with this goat at the zoo. Carter was having fun and looking eye to eye with his buddy. But I'm not so sure the goat was messing around. When the goat lowered his head and stared back at Carter I quickly stopped taking pictures and yelled for Carter to give him some space. :) I think Carter may have been seeing stars if he hadn't backed away from their little showdown! One purpose of our Omaha trip was the Mid-America Music Festival. Lauryn and Grant had prepared two pieces on the piano and played them in front of a judge for a score. It was a great experience for the two of them. Their hard work paid off-they both scored at least a 95% and earned a trophy. This is a picture with their teacher who traveled up to support her students.
Here we are listening at the door to Lauryn's pieces. Nobody is allowed in. It's just the child and the judge.
We also got to go to the Winter Quarter's Temple. It's such a beautiful site, and has a lot of history. I have some pioneer ancestors who stopped there on their way out to Utah with the wagon and handcart companies. It's amazing what kind of strength and conviction they showed to walk all the way to Salt Lake. Wow!

The kids decided to sell soda during our neighborhood garage sale. They made $14. What good little entrepreneurs!






3 comments:

Kelley said...

As always, I enjoy your posts and love your pictures. I can't believe Elise is getting SOOOO big. Congrats to Lauryn and Grant. Good thing you yelled to Carter. :)

I hope that I can get our homeschool to the caliber of your's someday. I know it's a work in progress, but I am thoroughly impressed with your kids, and I know you've worked hard to help them get to this point.

Susie said...

Congrats on the piano that is wonderful news for your two kids. Sounds like you had a very fun trip. That picture of Carter and the goat is funny.

Betsy said...

That Carter can make friends with anyone =0)! Congratulations to Lauryn and Grant! They must be working hard!